Bill Braxton Memorial Regatta Scholarships
Each year, proceeds from the Bill Braxton Memorial Regatta fund two scholarships given in memory of Bill Braxton and his departed parents, Bill and Theresa. These scholarships are awarded to high school student/oarspersons from Philadelphia and the surrounding area who embody the courage, conviction, and devotion to the community that Bill held.
The scholarships are awarded in a lump sum of $2,500 each and are dedicated to assisting in the recipient’s first year of college education.
(The committee may choose to award more than two scholarships and may adjust the amount slightly. The awarding of more than two scholarships would not necessarily affect the award amounts.)
Questions about the scholarship can be directed to the Scholarship Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. A candidate for the scholarships must be a high school senior participating in his or her school’s crew program. The scholarships are usually awarded on the first Thursday in July at the Philadelphia Girls’ Rowing Club, unless otherwise notified.
2. A candidate must have maintained a minimum of a ‘B’ average throughout his or her four years in high school.
3. A candidate must be planning to attend college in the fall of the year the scholarship is awarded. No particular college will be given any extra consideration.
4. A candidate will not be required to row in college. An intention to row is desired, but making the team is not mandatory.
5. The awardee is not chosen by race, color, national origin, religion, age, gender or sexual orientation.
6. Academic scholarship, commitment to rowing, community service, and financial need are all factors in the selection process.
1. Please request that your school send a transcript of your grades to:
Bill Braxton Memorial Scholarship
c/o PGRC, Scholarship Committee
14 Kelly Drive, Boathouse Row
Philadelphia, PA 19130
2. Submit the application form, the requested essay, and a clearly labeled photograph of yourself.
3. Letter(s) of Recommendation: Include in application material at least one, and no more than three, letters of recommendation on official letterhead. Appropriate references include, but are not limited to, coaches, teachers, mentors, and work supervisors.
Items 1 through 3: Submit by the deadline date noted below. We will not consider entries received after this date.
4. Interview with Scholarship committee: Following a review of your materials, the scholarship committee will contact you to set up a brief interview. We want to meet you!
Submitting an Application
There are three ways you can submit your application:
1. By mail
Print out an application form, fill it out and mail it—along with the other required materials—to the address on the form.
Use our new online form to complete your application and upload supporting files. Be sure to include your name in all uploaded file names (e.g., bbmr-essay_jane-doe).
3. Via email
Download the application and return the completed form, along with supporting materials, as email attachments to email@example.com. Be sure to include your name in all attached file names (e.g., bbmr-recommendation_john-doe).
February 15: Deadline for applications
March: Interviews of finalists will be scheduled in March.
April 1—May 15: Awards will be announced in April or May.
Candidates must have personal interviews. However, we will consider online video conferencing or other means if a candidate lives farther away than can reasonably be expected to meet face to face.